We are enthused to announce that The Art of Nothing: 25 Years of Mutts and the Art of Patrick McDonnell has been nominated for a 2020 Eisner Award!
The Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards, named for acclaimed comics creator Will Eisner, bring attention to publications and creators in comics and graphic novels in 31 categories — including Best Humor Publication, Best Short Story, Best Writer, Best Coloring, and many more.
The Art of Nothing has been nominated in the category of Best Comics-Related Book, alongside the following titles:
- The Book of Weirdo by Jon B. Cooke (Last Gasp)
- Grunt: The Art and Unpublished Comics of James Stokoe (Dark Horse)
- Logo a Gogo: Branding Pop Culture by Rian Hughes (Korero Press)
- Making Comics by Lynda Barry (Drawn & Quarterly)
- Screwball! The Cartoonists Who Made the Funnies Funny by Paul Tumey (Library of American Comics/IDW)
“It’s an honor to have The Art of Nothing included in this impressive group of books,” says Patrick. “My editor at Abrams, Charlie Kochman, was a joy to work with. I’m very proud of this book and the nomination, and was fortunate to have been a student of Will Eisner’s at SVA.”
The complete list of 2020 Eisner Award nominees is available here.
Want to get your paws on a copy of The Art of Nothing? This book is available for purchase at the online MUTTS Shop, where every purchase helps to rescue animals. Plus, every copy includes a bookplate that has been hand-signed (and includes a one-of-a-kind doodle!) by Patrick.